Despite Pressure, Trump Again Leans Toward Permanent Funding Cut to WHO
Last month, in retaliation to the World Health Organization’s (WHO) lying and covering for China’s exporting the Wuhan virus across the world, President Trump defunded the organization, pending an investigation into its complicity regarding the pandemic.
However, a few days ago, it was reported on Fox News’ Tucker Carlson Tonight that a leaked document from within the administration showed that it was “on the brink of resuming U.S. funding of the World Health Organization.” The letter said that even though the WHO has “shortcomings,” Trump thought the organization has potential and could still maintain some influence over it by keeping a small amount of funding—roughly 10% of the $400 million it annually spends. It also said that Trump wants to “work with the WHO and agree to pay up to what China pays in assessed contributions.”
Tucker strongly opposed the idea and rightfully condemned the WHO. Fox Business host Lou Dobbs then tweeted the Carlson story and blamed Trump’s advisors for this decision.
Top WH Advisors are working for whom exactly? Surely not for our historic President or this great nation: Trump set to restore partial funding to WHO after pause to investigate coronavirus response #MAGA @realDonaldTrump #AmericaFirst #Dobbshttps://t.co/3teoJMRWCD
— Lou Dobbs (@LouDobbs) May 16, 2020
Trump later responded to Dobbs on Twitter and showed that he may be changing his mind:
Lou, this is just one of numerous concepts being considered under which we would pay 10% of what we have been paying over many years, matching much lower China payments. Have not made final decision. All funds are frozen. Thanks! https://t.co/xQUzHy4NDa
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 16, 2020
Good. There is no reason U.S. taxpayers should be funding a group complicit in severely damaging the world’s economy and prosperity.