Despite Rumors, Durham Investigation “Remains Full Steam Ahead”
In May of last year, AG Barr appointed U.S. Attorney (CT) John Durham to lead an administrative review into the origins of the FBI’s investigation into candidate Donald Trump’s campaign.
At the end of August 2019, DOJ Inspector General Michael Horowitz issued a report which focused on fired FBI Director James Comey. It said he had flouted FBI rules and ignored protocol in his determination to undermine President-elect Trump. He leaked memos he had written after each meeting with Trump with the intention of triggering the appointment of a special counsel.
Barr declined to charge him with a crime. That was okay everyone said. The Comey report was small ball compared to the Horowitz report (which would be released in December 2019) and the biggest of them all, the Durham report. The American Spectator’s Jed Babbin wrote that these reports were expected to show clear violations of the law. The Durham report will be the “main event,” he wrote.” It will be the one that decides whom to indict and will obtain those indictments from one or more grand juries convened for that purpose.”
In September, there were reports that Barr and Durham had traveled to Rome and London twice to meet with Italian intelligence officials. They were on it.
At the end of October, The New York Times reported that Durham’s probe had shifted into a criminal inquiry. And he had expanded his investigation.
Shortly after that, there were rumors that the Durham team had requested all of CIA Director John Brennan’s communications from his time at the agency.
During a Fox News interview in December, Barr estimated that Durham’s investigation would be completed in the summer of this year.
In March 2020, Durham was still working hard. Although the pandemic was raging, he drove down to Washington, D.C. from Connecticut to meet with his team.
We waited for word through the summer and heard nothing.
On September 10, it was announced that Nora Dannehy, the top prosecutor on Durham’s team, had resigned. “According to a person familiar with her thinking,” she left “in part due to concerns of political pressure to deliver a report before the presidential election.”
In late September, Fox News’ Maria Bartiromo reported: “It is unlikely that we will get a John Durham interim report or any indictments before the election. Now, just 37 days away, a debate has begun within the Department of Justice, as the timing of John Durham’s criminal investigation conclusions. I’m being told by sources it is now too close to the election and could be seen as politically motivated.”
AG Barr said back in October not to expect any additional indictments from the Durham investigation before the election, but sources said there was a strong possibility of additional indictments afterward.
With the election in our rear view mirror, our eyes turn once again to Durham.
On Sunday, The Federalist’s Sean Davis posted the following tweet:
A source familiar with Durham’s ongoing investigation of the bogus Russian collusion operation tells @FDRLST: “Durham isn’t doing anything. Dropping his investigations. He’s worried about blowback from Biden. What an absolute disgrace.
This made many of us feel as if we’d been led down the primrose path.
A couple of hours later, Davis followed up with a second tweet:
A separate source who has seen the evidence compiled during the course of Durham’s investigation told @FDRLST this afternoon that there’s “more than enough evidence to indict multiple” involved in the Russian collusion hoax operation to take down Trump.
Okay, so there’s “more than enough evidence to indict multiple people,” yet Durham is dropping his investigation.
If Davis’ sources are correct, I thought, then America really does have a two-tier system of justice.
And maybe Bill Barr isn’t so fabulous after all.
But wait. On Sunday night, we heard from Davis again. He tweeted that “another source familiar with Durham’s investigation rejected entirely the characterization that Durham is dropping his probe: “John Durham’s investigation remains at full-speed ahead.””
Another source familiar with Durham's investigation rejected entirely the characterization that Durham is dropping his probe: "John Durham's investigation remains at full-speed ahead." https://t.co/QSlhqf3tUO
— Sean Davis (@seanmdav) November 16, 2020
On Wednesday, Fox News’ reported that another source had confirmed the Durham investigation “is definitely still happening.”
Well, that’s really good news, but time is of the essence and Americans are looking for some answers. At least Republicans are. And we’re tired of waiting.
How ironic it would be if President Trump were able to take down a few of “the best and the brightest” from the Obama-Biden Administration on his way out.
As Dan says: It’s Thursday, November 19, 2020, and the Obama/Biden Administration was the most corrupt in US history.