Pfizer’s COVID-19 Vaccine Shown To Be Over 90% Effective in Clinical Trials; Cuomo Reacts – Stupidly
Pfizer Inc. and German BioNTech SE announced on Monday that their jointly developed coronavirus vaccine has proven to be over 90% effective in human clinical trials.
This report has sent Dow futures into the stratosphere. As of 8:30 am, they are up 1,500 points and Pfizer stock is up 13 percent. The news has also given a boost to airlines and oil companies. “Stay-at-home” stocks like Zoom are down, meanwhile.
According to their press release:
- Vaccine candidate was found to be more than 90% effective in preventing COVID-19 in participants without evidence of prior SARS-CoV-2 infection in the first interim efficacy analysis.
- Analysis evaluated 94 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in trial participants.
- Study enrolled 43,538 participants, with 42% having diverse backgrounds, and no serious safety concerns have been observed; Safety and additional efficacy data continue to be collected.
- Submission for Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) planned for soon after the required safety milestone is achieved, which is currently expected to occur in the third week of November.
- Clinical trial to continue through to final analysis at 164 confirmed cases in order to collect further data and characterize the vaccine candidate’s performance against other study endpoints.
Pfizer CEO and Chairman Dr. Albert Bourla issued a statement which said,
Today is a great day for science and humanity. The first set of results from our Phase 3 COVID-19 vaccine trial provides the initial evidence of our vaccine’s ability to prevent COVID-19. We are reaching this critical milestone in our vaccine development program at a time when the world needs it most with infection rates setting new records, hospitals nearing over-capacity and economies struggling to reopen. With today’s news, we are a significant step closer to providing people around the world with a much-needed breakthrough to help bring an end to this global health crisis.
The vaccine consists of two shots administered several weeks apart.
The Food and Drug Administration “requires a company to monitor at least 50% of a study’s subjects for side effects for a period of two months before making a safety assessment of the vaccine.” Pfizer indicated they will reach this “required safety milestone” in two weeks. At that time, they will seek permission to start distributing and selling the new vaccine.
The company said they will monitor trial participants for two years after their second dose.
Read the full report here.
Several other big pharmaceutical companies, including Moderna, Johnson & Johnson, and AstraZeneca, are “in late-stage development” of their own COVID-19 vaccines.
In the video below, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo reacts to this news – well – exactly as you might expect he would.
Cuomo tells ABC’s George Stephanopoulos, “Well it’s good news, bad news George…The bad news is it’s about two months before Joe Biden takes over. And that means this administration’s going to be implementing a vaccine plan.”
He rambles on telling Stephanopoulos about all the testing he’s done in his state.
“And the Trump administration’s rolling out the vaccination plan and I believe it’s flawed. It learns nothing from the past…”
Stephanopoulos, to his credit, asks what the Biden Administration would do that the Trump Administration won’t do.
“When you deny a problem the way Trump did, you can never solve it. And that’s true in life. The Trump Administration denied COVID, so they weren’t ready for it…”
He never does provide an answer. Not even a little bit.