U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement deportation raids are set to begin this Sunday, according to a Fox News report.

Fox News reports:

The ICE agents will target at least 2,000 immigrants whose deportations have already been ordered, a New York Times report said, citing one former and two current Department of Homeland Security officials.

Advertisement

Neither the White House nor ICE immediately responded to emails from Fox News seeking comment. An ICE spokesman declined to comment to the Times to ensure the safety of the department’s agents.

Ken Cuccinelli, acting director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services told reporters yesterday that the raids are “absolutely” going to happen.

“They’re absolutely going to happen. There’s approximately a million people in this country w/ removal orders & of course that isn’t what ICE will go after in this but that’s the pool of people who have been all the way through the due process chain,” he said.

Earlier this month, President Trump said that ICE will increase deportations of illegal aliens after the July 4 holiday.

While signing a $4.6 billion humanitarian aid bill to help immigration officials deal with the migrant surge at the U.S. border, the president said to reporters, “After July Fourth a lot of people are going to be brought back out. So people that come up may be here for a short while, but they’re going to be gone, they’re going back to their countries. They go back home. ICE is going to be apprehending them and bringing them back.”

Last month, President Trump announced that ICE would deport “millions of illegal immigrants,” however, he halted the plan for two weeks in order to give Congress a chance to fix the immigration laws that enable migrants to exploit U.S. borders.

“At the request of Democrats, I have delayed the Illegal Immigration Removal Process (Deportation) for two weeks to see if the Democrats and Republicans can get together and work out a solution to the Asylum and Loophole problems at the Southern Border. If not, Deportations start!” he tweeted on June 22.