The Top Five Moments From the Vice-Presidential Debate Last Night
Let me remove all suspense. Mike Pence won the debate.
Frank Luntz says his panel of uncommitted voters reacted really poorly to the condescending Kamala Harris laughs, scowling, eye rolls and overall demeanor. Says Mike Pence won. He's right.
— (((Jason Rantz))) on KTTH Radio (@jasonrantz) October 8, 2020
He’s a good debater and Kamala Harris is not. She has a whiny, nasal voice, incessantly smiles, or shakes her head when Pence makes a good point while militantly lying or running from controversial opinions. Pence sounds what you expect a leader to sound like. On the other hand…
If you vote for Joe Biden, that stuttering, evasive mean girl on stage is gonna be your president within a year. Better think about that.
— Jesse Kelly (@JesseKellyDC) October 8, 2020
All that said, the VP debate was more of what we normally expect to see from political debate. Here are the top five moments from the debate.
1) Pence hammering Harris for undermining confidence in a vaccine: Once again, rather weirdly, Kamala Harris declared that she wouldn’t take a vaccine recommended by Donald Trump, and Pence pounded on her anti-vax stance. Harris did try to split the baby by declaring she would take a vaccine recommended by scientists in the Trump administration, but not Trump, but that makes no sense. Harris was also asked how Joe Biden would handle the Coronavirus differently than Trump and had no real answer beyond things the Trump administration was already doing, which Pence noted was basically plagiarism.
VP Pence to Sen. Harris: "I just ask you, stop playing politics with people's lives. The reality is that we will have a vaccine, we believe, before the end of this year and it will have the capacity to save countless American lives." https://t.co/rJxLDwoEis #VPDebate pic.twitter.com/q5ifCZuhJC
— ABC News (@ABC) October 8, 2020
Vice President @Mike_Pence on the Biden-Harris coronavirus plan: "When I look at their plan that talks about advancing testing, creating new PPE, developing a vaccine, it looks a little bit like plagiarism, which is something Joe Biden knows a little bit about."#VPDebate pic.twitter.com/f9Iwmylgib
— Team Trump (Text VOTE to 88022) (@TeamTrump) October 8, 2020
2) The Economy: Rather bizarrely, Kamala Harris claimed that Joe Biden was responsible for the economic success in the Trump administration before the Coronavirus happened, which may have been the most mind-blowing moment of the night.
“Joe Biden is the one who during the Great Recession was responsible for the Recovery Act that brought America back and now the Trump-Pence administration wants to take credit.”
Mike Pence responded effectively while dropping a couple of fantastic quotes you may see turning up in campaign commercials over the next few weeks.
“On day 1, Joe Biden is going to raise your taxes” and “The American economy, the American comeback is on the ballot.”
BIDEN WILL RAISE YOUR TAXES: "The American economy, the American comeback is on the ballot"
— Newsmax (@newsmax) October 8, 2020
3) The Fracking Lie: Mike Pence noted that both Harris and Biden had said they’ll ban fracking and her response to that was to deny that, which seems utterly bizarre since video of their frequent comments about fracking is not in short supply.
Here is a clip of Joe Biden saying he will ban fracking. pic.twitter.com/uphfcsH7d2
— Lindsay Wigo (@LindsayWigo) October 8, 2020
Don’t believe your lying eyes. https://t.co/AfDlLoViwY
— Ted Cruz (@tedcruz) October 8, 2020
4) “Lost the trade war with China? Joe Biden never fought it.” — Mike Pence
This was one of the best lines of the night as Harris foolishly challenged Pence on China.
#VPDebate "Lost the trade war with China? Joe Biden never fought it. Joe Biden has been a cheerleader for communist China for the last several decades." — ouch, that's gonna XI a mark. pic.twitter.com/0LqIKG4M4W
— ForAmerica (@ForAmerica) October 8, 2020
China censored Pence’s comments on China. Signal returned when Harris began talking again. pic.twitter.com/0VEMAqDA95
— Nathan VanderKlippe (@nvanderklippe) October 8, 2020
5) Kamala Harris won’t answer whether she and Biden would pack the Supreme Court.
Pence: You want to pack the court.
Harris: ::Awkwardly laughs::
Pence: You want to pack the court.
Harris: Here's my answer: YOU ARE RACIST.
Pence: So, you want to pack the court.
— Ben Shapiro (@benshapiro) October 8, 2020
Pence performed beautifully here as he kept coming back to her on this question while she kept dodging it until it would have been obvious to a five-year-old or alternately, even a sleepy Joe Biden, what was happening. Then Pence correctly noted that her non-answer was an answer. Clearly, Biden and Harris intend to pack the Supreme Court, which is a dangerous maneuver that will threaten the stability of our country.
Mike Pence doing the job the media won't. Part 2. He again demands to know if the Biden/Harris administration will pack the Supreme Court. pic.twitter.com/qUS8zMeGus
— Scott Whitlock (@ScottJW) October 8, 2020
Bonus: After the Democrats have incessantly tried to stir up fears about Trump potentially not accepting the results of the election, it was enjoyable to watch Mike Pence point out their hypocrisy given the way they have behaved since the 2016 election.
VP PENCE: “Your Party has spent the last Three and a Half Years trying to overturn the results of the last election.” pic.twitter.com/vur8u0x9LA
— Benny (@bennyjohnson) October 8, 2020