Voters Reject Democrat Schemes to Give Relief Money to Illegals
As Trump champions America first, countless liberals are opting to champion “America last” during the coronavirus pandemic, making sure that illegal aliens are being taken care of at the expense of American citizens.
California Governor Gavin Newsom authorized $500 million in cash payments to all illegals, and House Democrats introduced the ironically named “Leave No Taxpayer Behind Act” earlier in the month, which would amend the $2 trillion stimulus to open up funds towards illegals.
“Squad” member Ilhan Omar said “It is absurd and cruel that a taxpaying, mixed status couple or family could be excluded from this relief. Over 140,000 Minnesotans live in mixed status families of some form.”
First we had “illegal alien,” then “undocumented immigrant,” and now “American taxpayers” What will they think up next? Who knows, but no amount of attempted rebranding of illegal immigrants has helped voters warm up to the absurd idea of giving them taxpayer dollars.
According to Rasmussen Reports:
- 36% of Likely U.S. Voters favor cash payments to illegal immigrants in their state because of the coronavirus. But 50% are opposed. Fourteen percent (14%) are undecided.
- Seventy-two percent (72%) of Republicans and 53% of voters not affiliated with either major party oppose cash payments to illegal immigrants in their state. Fifty-seven percent (57%) of Democrats favor the idea.
- Fifty-eight percent (58%) of all voters continue to believe that anyone who receives local, state or federal government services should be required first to prove they are legally allowed to be in the United States. But this is down from a high of 81% in 2015 and 76% in May of last year. Twenty-eight percent (28%) oppose such a requirement, while 14% are not sure.
- Fifty percent (50%) still think the availability of government money and services draw illegal immigrants to the United States, but this too is down from 2010’s high of 66% and 59% as recently as a year ago. Thirty-three percent (33%) disagree. Seventeen percent (17%) are undecided.
Contrary to the arguments of those telling us that “illegal aliens pay taxes too,” the amount illegals do pay isn’t even close to being enough to make up for what they cost taxpayers. Do people really think that illegal aliens paying sales tax is in any way comparable so your average worker paying federal income taxes, payroll taxes, property taxes, among many others? Of course not.
- Because illegals displace legal American employment (100% of which would be paying taxes – and likely at higher wages), illegal immigrants impose a $30 billion annual cost in lost tax revenue.
- Because of pressure on wages, illegal immigrants are costing American workers $118 billion annually in lost wages.
- The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) finds the net cost of illegal immigration (i.e. net of taxes paid by illegals) to be $116 billion. This is particularly noteable, because they assume that illegals pay $19 billion annually in taxes – far more than our liberal friends typically claim.
- The conservative Heritage Foundation’s study on the same subject finds a comparatively lower $55 billion net cost to American taxpayers.
- Health care costs for illegal immigrants alone total nearly $20 billion, or almost double what they pay in taxes, according to American Enterprise Institute scholar Chris Conover.
They may be taxpayers, but they’ll never come close to being net-taxpayers.